The 2019 iHeartRadio Music Awards brought the biggest names in entertainment and fans together from Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles to celebrate all things music live on FOX; on iHeartMedia radio stations nationwide and on iHeartRadio. Hosted by T-Pain, the fan-fueled event featured performances and incredible collaborations including Alicia Keys, Ariana Grande, Backstreet Boys, Ella Mai, Garth Brooks, Halsey with special guests Yungblud and Travis Barker, John Legend, Kacey Musgraves with special guest Chris Martin, lovelytheband and Marshmello with special guest Lauv.
Alicia Keys was honored with the iHeartRadio Innovator Award; Garth Brooks with the first-ever Artist of the Decade Award; Halsey with the iHeartRadio Fangirls Award; and Taylor Swift with the Tour of the Year Award.
In addition, iHeartMedia partnered with leading short-form mobile video app TikTok to present seven awards in the seven days leading up to the Thursday, March 14 telecast. Beginning Thursday, March 7, winning artists were presented their awards and gave acceptance speeches that aired exclusively on the TikTok app each morning at 8:00 AM ET. Winners included Panic! At The Disco for Alternative Rock Album of the Year, Jason Aldean for Country Album of the Year, twenty one pilots for Rock Album of the Year, Marshmello for Dance Artist of the Year, Imagine Dragons for Most Thumbed Up Artist of the Year, The Chainsmokers for Dance Album of the Year and Lauren Jauregui’s dog, Gracie, for Cutest Musician’s Pet.
Additional highlights included:
- For the first-time ever, the iHeartRadio Music Awards presented an AI (Artificial Intelligence) voice assistant with an award. The iHeartRadio Game Changer Tech Award, which honors the most innovative use of technology that brings fans closer to the music they love, was awarded to Amazon’s Alexa. Garth Brooks and Bobby Bones spoke to Alexa, who gave a tongue-in-cheek acceptance speech. Watch it HERE.
- Halsey opened the show with a stirring performance of “Without Me.” She was later joined onstage by YungBlud and Travis Barker for the song, “11 Minutes.”
- Kacey Musgraves performed her hit, “Rainbow,” sitting on an actual rainbow, with surprise guest Chris Martin accompanying her on piano.
- Jamie Foxx presented Alicia Keys with the iHeartRadio Innovator Award and later came back to introduce her performance. The iconic superstar performed for the first time ever with her son, Egypt, who accompanied his mother on piano for a special medley of her new song, “Raise A Man,” and one of her biggest hits, “You Don’t Know My Name.”
- In a world television premiere, Ariana Grande gave an intimate performance of her new hit single, “Needy,” accompanied by violinists.
- For the first time in the iHeartRadio Music Awards show history, winners of three Best New Artist categories – Marshmello (Best New Pop Artist) with special guest Luav, lovelytheband (Best New Rock/Alternative Rock Artist) and Ella Mai (Best New R&B Artist) – came together to perform a medley of their hits including “Happier,” “broken” and “Trip”
- John Legend performed his new song, “Preach,” backed by a choir.
- Backstreet Boys started their performance of “No Place” from the audience before seamlessly transitioning into their iconic hit, “I Want It That Way.”
- Actor and Country music fan, Chris Pratt, surprised those at the show by presenting Garth Brooks with the first-ever Artist of the Decade Award. It was a rare award show appearance for Brooks, who performed a live medley of his number one hits — with Pratt even joining in on stage to sing along — before accepting his award.
Award presenters included Bebe Rexha, Chris Pratt, Elle Fanning, Jamie and Corinne Foxx, Katy Perry, Maren Morris, Nicole Scherzinger, Pharrell Williams, Robin Thicke, Shay Mitchell, Steven Tyler, Zedd and more.
For a full list of categories visit iHeartRadio.com/awards.